Friday, April 29, 2016

Overachiever (Visual Explication)

After a rather timely recitation from Maia and Tiye, I changed my visual explication to the poem "Overachievers." You can watch an excellent recitation here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iq8ErEFLm18

I wanted to somehow convey the emotions that the poem made me feel visually. For some reason the mess of a collage just felt right. I used words that I felt embodied the "perfection" that high school students are expected to achieve.

Without further ado, here's my visual representation of the poem "Overachievers."

6 comments:

  1. I like the collage idea because it's cluttered and disjointed, perfect for the poem

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice visual explication! I think the collage was definitely appropriate for this poem since it's all over the place sort of like the lives of high schoolers. Thanks for the link to the recitation!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such an interesting collage! I love how the words seem a little cluttered, but all centered around the main idea. I also like how most of the words are in a bold font, it seems like each one is competing with the surrounding words.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this image! I think that it perfectly represents all of the various things a high school student, especially, strives to be all at once. None of them touch and they're all distinct attributes that end up just being too much at once

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is an awesome post! I could never do something so creative. I love how you explicate the poem not only with the words you chose, but also with positioning of the collage in the cluttered fashion. I think this really represent the stress and cluttered ambitions in many high schoolers' lives.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like how scattered the words are on the poster. It really gave me the feeling of an over-programmed life. It is almost like there are a lot of voices saying all the words because they are so different. I think this lends itself well to the poem because people are coming at the speaker, pressuring them from all directions

    good work!!

    ReplyDelete